Saturday, January 12, 2019

My Samsung Smart TV is TOO SMART.

First of all, these corporate practices may not be unique to Samsung.  It's just that this is the second time I caught Samsung stabbing their customers in the back.

A year or two ago, it was their Galaxy smartphones.  Battery overheated & caught fire or exploded or something, I'm not sure.  That wasn't the part that shocked me.  It was this:

"Inside the box, under the phone, inside another box, on the last few pages of the warranty guide, is a clause requiring “all disputes with Samsung” be resolved through “final and binding arbitration, and not by a court or jury.”  A consumer has 30 days to “opt out” or else they cannot sue." -CBS News

This was all over the news & I remember thinking I'll never buy Samsung.  It's so dishonest & it's to protect their money in case their phone tries burn their own customers alive!

Black Friday 2018, I am installing my new Samsung 4K Smart TV.  I have no backbone...... 

Fast forward to today, I see this thing on Google News about Vizio Smart TVs selling customer information(Business Insider).  Naturally, I wonder about my new Samsung TV, I google it, then bam:

samsung smart tv tracking selling your customer viewer information habits


Thanks to the helpful article, I went into the settings right away.  "Support", then "Terms & Privacy".

samsung smart tv tracking selling your customer viewer information habits

 Sure enough, the two lines below were already checked off without me even noticing.

samsung smart tv stealing  selling your customer viewer information habits

"Viewing information Services" wouldn't even tell you the whole story.  Samsung tells you in there like they are providing some service to you for free.  For more information, they tell you to visit their website.

"We may share your information with:
  • • Affiliates – the companies related to Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. by common ownership or control.
  • • Business partners - trusted companies that may provide information about products and services you might like.
  • • Service providers - companies that provide services for or on behalf of Samsung.
  • • Law enforcement - when we are required to do so or to protect Samsung and its users."

In short: Samsung will study your habits & use them to sell you stuff.  They will also sell the said information to other companies.  P.S.  We may help sending you to prison.

Okay, last bit was a stretch & of one I didn't even think about.  TV didn't just get smarter, they got sneakier.  It is using your own internet connection against you.  Check your TV privacy settings!


No comments:

Post a Comment